Whatever our skincare goal is, most of us have heard of retinol or retinoids, but what are they?! Retinol, a derivative of vitamin A, is a fat soluble vitamin found in many foods we eat including meat, fish and especially liver. Retinoids are a compound that comes from retinols that usually require a prescription to obtain.
What are the benefits of using Retinol
The skin improvements associated with retinol are endless, but why? Retinol is truly a super ingredient when it comes to promoting skin cell turnover, unclogging pores and giving us an overall glowy and gorgeous complexion.
So what sorts of things can we use it for?
- Ance: Whether your issue is preventing breakouts, clearing up current ones, or erasing scars from previous ones, retinol is effective for even the most stubborn blemishes. It is great for cleaning out the pores and neutralizing free radicals while also healing past breakouts, ridding your skin of dark marks left behind.
- Anti-aging: Because it boosts the production of elastin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
- Overall more even and flawless skin tone: Retinol produces an effect similar to exfoliation to the skin, leaving you with an improved tone and texture to the skin. The appearance of pores is also minimized from the plumping effects of it.
How to use it properly?
Retinol is effective, and for good reason. It is a POWERFUL product to use. That is why it is so important to use it safely!
- Use retinol at night.
- Avoid too much sun by wearing wide brimmed hats and sunscreen.
- Be consistent about your sunscreen application.
- Use a good moisturizer.
- Use a retinol product with good buffer ingredients too, this help soothes the skin!
These are all ways to make sure that you can obtain the benefits of retinol without the unnecessary risk. Retinol and retinoids definitely make it easier for your skin to suffer sunburns and sun damage, so protection from the UV rays becomes increasingly important.
Be sure to inform any professionals working on your face that you are using a retinol!
Most importantly though, be mindful of the retinol product that you are using. Not all retinol serums and creams are created equal. Of course, concentration and your general skin type can play a role in how it will affect your skin, but being sure your retinol products are of highest quality will help you prevent unwanted irritation.
So, what are you waiting for?! Check out out Sleekskin® Aesthetics, Retinol Radiance and see what all the hubbub is about!
While you’re at it, consider adding Sleekskin® Brilliance Antioxidant Serum to really target any pigmentation. Vitamin C pairs wonderfully with retinols!